Information

Stoney Point - History


Americans Capture Stony Point July 15, 1779

In their first northward action since the surrender at Saratoga, the British captured the American fort at Stony Point. Under the direction of General Washington, the Americans recaptured the fort, suffering only minimal casualties.

.

By the Spring of 1779, the war had settled into a near stalemate. The British forces were in New York, with Washington's forces outside. The British were too strong for the Americans to attack, and Washington's forces presented no target for the British. The British commander, General Clinton, settled on a strategy of staging raids on American port cities and towns. After a successful raid in Virginia, Clinton turned his fleet toward attacking two American forts guarding the Hudson River; Stoney Point and Fort Lafayette. The two forts quickly fell to superior British forces. It was Clinton’s hope that this would only be a prelude to an attack on West Point. Clinton waited for reinforcements before moving on the more formidable West Point, as had been the British tradition during the course of the war.

Washington was dismayed by the capture. Initially, Washington did not believe he could do anything to respond. But Washington soon received reports which showed that Stony Point could possibly be retaken. Washington personally reconnoitered the area of the fort and developed a plan together with General Wayne. Washington had tasked Wayne with the responsibility for the attack. Wayne developed an audacious plan for a surprise attack on the Fort.

Stoney Point stood 150 feet above the Hudson, surrounded on three sides by water. The fort was held by close to 700 British soldiers. On July 15th, shortly after midnight, two hundred carefully selected volunteers, led by Wayne, silently approached the fort. They surprised the sentries and stormed into the fort. The sleeping British were quickly overwhelmed when the advanced force opened the fort to reinforcements. Before long, the British soldiers were asking for quarters, admitting defeat. Americans suffered 100 casualties, 17 of them fatalities. The British, however, lost their total garrison of 700 soldiers, who were either killed, wounded, or captured. Washington retrieved the cannons and all the supplies from the for. Then Washington destroyed the fort, wishing to take a chance that the British could recapture it.

In August, American troops, led by Colonel Lee, staged a successful raid on Paulus Point; opposite Manhattan. In this attack Lee lost 5 men, while killing, wounding or capturing the entire British garrison of 250.


The Battle of Stony Point

The Battle of Stony Point was one of the more dramatic battles in the Revolutionary War. Much of the combat was brutal hand to hand fighting at the point of the bayonet. While the battle itself played a minor role in the outcome of the war, it displayed to the world the prowess and bravery of American troops and served as a much-needed morale boost for the young American army.

Following the winter at Valley Forge and the inconclusive Battle of Monmouth in June of 1778, the British Army retreated to New York City, which served as their primary headquarters and base of operations. General George Washington’s Continental Army set up winter quarters just outside of New York City in Middlebrook, New Jersey. The war ground to a slow stalemate in this theater as small skirmishes occurred but no large engagements. The British began to turn their sights on the Southern colonies and in the winter of 1778-1779 dispatched troops to capture Savannah, Georgia, and begin operations in the Carolinas.

Portrait of Sir Henry Clinton painted by Andrea Soldi between 1760 and 1770.

As the stalemate around New York dragged on into the summer of 1779, British General Sir Henry Clinton looked for a way to draw Washington’s main army out into the open where he could destroy it. Having captured the American cities of New York, Philadelphia, and Savannah, it was clear that the best way to bring a speedy conclusion to the war would require destroying Washington’s army. In May of 1779, Clinton sailed with a force of 6,000 British troops 40 miles up the Hudson River to capture the major crossing at King’s Ferry. This important crossing point on the Hudson River was protected by small American forts at Verplanck’s Point on the east side of the river and Stony Point on the west. The small American garrisons there quickly abandoned the forts and the large British force easily captured the area.

Washington didn’t take the bait. Instead, his army positioned itself safely nearby in New Windsor, New York, and waited to see if Clinton would make an attempt on the nearby American defenses at West Point.

After not successfully enticing Washington, Clinton decided to sail the majority of his force back down the Hudson and dispatched them to the coast of Connecticut where they raided the American shoreline. Clinton left behind at Stony Point a small contingent of 600 soldiers primarily from the 17th Regiment of Foot.

With the outpost at Stony Point isolated and vulnerable, Washington wanted to take it back. He tasked this mission to the fiery American General Anthony Wayne of Pennsylvania. Two years earlier in September of 1777 Wayne’s men had been surprised by a British night attack that resulted in more than 200 American soldiers being killed or wounded by British bayonets. Wayne survived but wanted revenge and this would be his opportunity.

Washington gave Wayne orders to take Stony Point in a midnight bayonet charge. Wayne would command a force of about 1,200 Light Infantrymen. The Light Infantry were hand-picked men from various Continental regiments that formed an elite corps of some of the best American soldiers.

Washington gave Wayne instructions to send the Light Infantry in through three different points “with fixed Bayonets and Muskets unloaded.”

Stony Point is a tall rocky outcropping that juts into the Hudson River. Rising up to almost 150 feet above the water, the ground the Americans needed to cover was extremely steep. A narrow neck of land connected the point to the mainland. On either side of this neck was tidal marshland. The British had fortified the already naturally defended position. They had a couple lines of earthworks and placed abatis (obstacles made by placing tangled and sharpened branches) in front of the earthworks.

On the afternoon of July 15, 1779, Wayne’s force moved into position just a mile from Stony Point. The time for the assault would be at midnight. There would be three columns to make the assault. The main column, led by Wayne personally, would attack across the southern part of the marshland and scramble up the point. A second column would advance across the northern marsh and a third column, meant to be a diversion, would attack directly across the neck and fire as much as possible to distract the British defenders. Secrecy would be extremely important as they wanted to be on top of the British works as quickly as possible and capture them by surprise. For this, all the men were ordered to not load their muskets. They would go into battle with empty muskets and fixed bayonets. Wayne directed them to “place their whole dependence on the Bayonet.”

An hour before the assault, Wayne wrote a letter to a friend stating, “This will not reach you until the writer is no more.” After asking his friend to look after his children, he wrote that he would be eating breakfast “either within the enemies’ lines in triumph, or in another world.” Wayne was determined to capture the post or die trying.

General Anthony "Mad Anthony" Wayne

Shortly after midnight on July 16, 1779, the three columns moved out. As Wayne’s column began to cross the marsh, they slugged through water that came up to their chests. The men pushed forward into the darkness. As soon as they came to the other side, they began to dash up the steep slopes towards the first line of British defenses. British sentries, seeing the movement in the darkness began to fire into the mass of men surging towards them. Bright musket flashes illuminated the dark night as whizzing musket balls screeched through the air.

As American soldiers began to fall, the disciplined men closed their ranks and continued to push forward. In the vanguard of the assaulting troops were Americans armed with axes in order to hack away at the abatis and obstacles to allow the main body to push through. Just as the north and south columns engaged the British sentries, the center column advanced to the neck and began firing at the British.

As he advanced boldly, a British musket ball hit Wayne in the head. He fell to the ground wounded. The ball had luckily only grazed his head, and though bloodied and dazed, he cried “March on, boys. Carry me into the fort! For should the wound be mortal, I will die at the head of the column.”

Lt. Col. Henry Johnson, the British commander, fell to the American ruse by rushing many of his men down to neck where the third American column was creating a diversion. Johnson soon realized his predicament when he heard the other American columns in his rear.

The American columns made it into the inner works and for a few minutes, the rocky peninsula was a maelstrom of musket shots and bayonet thrusts. Lt. Colonel Francois de Fleury was the first man into the inner works and pulled down the British flag flying there and exclaimed, “The fort’s our own!” After more bloody hand to hand combat, it was clear that further resistance by the British was futile, and Johnson and the British troops surrendered. A few minutes later a victorious and bloody Wayne was carried into the British works and cheers went up among the American troops. Wayne quickly jotted a letter to Washington: “The fort and garrison with Col. Johnston are ours. Our officers and men behaved like men who are determined to be free.”

The battle resulted in 15 Americans killed and 83 wounded. The British had lost 20 killed, 74 wounded and 472 captured. This action displayed the fierceness of the American troops and exacted revenge for the massacre at Paoli. Wayne displayed great courage in the battle and would later be given the name “Mad” Anthony Wayne for his zeal in battle. Wayne and the American troops also displayed great restraint, in preventing a retaliatory massacre from occurring, and instead gave mercy and quarter to the surrendered British soldiers.

Washington visited the conquered position on July 17, 1779. He determined his army could not hold the isolated position at Stony Point with the possibility of the British Navy returning and ordered the fortifications destroyed and left with the provisions and prisoners. The British reclaimed the place on July 19.

The success and bravery of the Light Infantry was not lost on Washington. Two years later he would employ near-identical tactics to launch an evening bayonet charge on British redoubts outside of Yorktown, Virginia, in what would be the last major battle of the Revolutionary War.


Stony Point Light

The Stony Point Light is the oldest lighthouse on the Hudson River. It is located at the Stony Point Battlefield in Stony Point, New York.

The lighthouse was built in 1826 by Thomas Phillips, to warn ships away from the rocks of the Stony Point peninsula. The completion of the Erie Canal the previous year, which linked New York City to America's heartland, increased traffic on the Hudson River dramatically, and the need for navigational aids was paramount. [4]

Its design is an octagonal pyramid, made entirely of stone. In service for nearly 100 years, the lighthouse had a series of keepers, most notably the Rose family. The Rose home is also on the Historic Register.

The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1925 and was acquired by the parks commission in 1941. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. [3]

Through the efforts of the Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site, the Palisades Park Interstate Commission, and NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, restoration of the lighthouse began in 1986. The exterior was repaired and painted and the lantern was reglazed. On October 7, 1995, restoration was complete, and the light was activated for the first time in 70 years. The automatic light, operated by solar power, beams a flash of light once every four seconds. It is open to the public. [4]


Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

Stony Point Battlefield will begin summer hours on April 15, 2021.

Summer Hours are as follows:
Museum: Wednesday- Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:30 pm Sunday, 12:00 pm- 4:00 pm
Restrooms: Wednesday- Saturday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Sunday, 12:00 pm-4:30 pm
The site is closed Mondays & Tuesdays. The restrooms are closed Mondays & Tuesdays.

Visit the site of the Battle of Stony Point, one of the last Revolutionary War battles in the northeastern colonies. This is where Brigadier General Anthony Wayne led his corps of Continental Light Infantry in a daring midnight attack on the British, seizing the site's fortifications and taking the soldiers and camp followers at the British garrison as prisoners on July 16, 1779.

By May 1779 the war had been raging for four years and both sides were eager for a conclusion. Sir Henry Clinton, Commander-In-Chief of the British forces in America, attempted to coerce General George Washington into one decisive battle to control the Hudson River. As part of his strategy, Clinton fortified Stony Point. Washington devised a plan for Wayne to lead an attack on the garrison. Armed with bayonets only, the infantry captured the fort in short order, ending British control of the river.

The Stony Point Lighthouse, built in 1826, is the oldest lighthouse on the Hudson River. De-commissioned in 1925, it now stands as a historical reminder of the importance of lighthouses to commerce on the Hudson River. The opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 unleashed a surge of commercial navigation along the Hudson River, by linking New York city to America's heartland. Within a year, the first of the Hudson's fourteen lights shone at Stony Point and others soon followed, designed to safely guide maritime travel along the river. Many light keepers, including several remarkable women such as Nancy and Melinda Rose at Stony Point, made their homes in the lighthouse complexes, and ensured that these important navigational signals never failed to shine.

The site features a museum, which offers exhibits on the battle and the Stony Point Lighthouse, as well as interpretive programs, such as reenactments highlighting 18th century military life, cannon and musket firings, cooking demonstrations, and children's activities and blacksmith demonstrations.

Hours of Operation

  • Please contact the site for opening dates and times by calling the museum: (845) 786-2521 or visit the site's Facebook page.
  • Stony Point Battlefield will begin summer hours on April 15, 2021.

Summer Hours are as follows:
Museum: Wednesday- Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:30 pm Sunday, 12:00 pm- 4:00 pm
Restrooms: Wednesday- Saturday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Sunday, 12:00 pm-4:30 pm
The site is closed Mondays & Tuesdays. The restrooms are closed Mondays & Tuesdays.

Fees & Rates

The easy-to-use Empire Pass card is $80- and your key to all-season enjoyment with unlimited day-use entry at most facilities operated by State Parks and the State Dept. of Environmental Conservation including forests, beaches, trails and more. Purchase online or contact your favorite park for more information. Learn more about our Admission Programs including the Empire Pass.

Most New York State Parks charge a vehicle use fee to enter the facility. Fees vary by location and season. A list of entry fees and other park use fees is available below. For fees not listed or to verify information, please contact the park directly.

Access to the Battlefield is free to visitors during regular hours. Donations are welcome. Some program fees for tours and evening events are charged, please call the site for information.

Group Tours: For organized group (including scouts and organizations,) tours are offered Wednesday to Sunday by advance reservation only and are limited to availability of staff and weather. Please call the site office three weeks in advance to book a tour of the Battlefield. Fees apply.


History of Stoney Point, Essex, Ontario, Canada

(Stony Point)

Visit Stoney Point, Essex, Ontario, Canada. Discover its history. Learn about the people who lived there through stories, old newspaper articles, pictures, postcards and genealogy.

Are you from Stoney Point? Do you have ancestors from there? Tell us YOUR story!

"Stony Point. — Village and Station of the Great Western Railway, on Lake St. Clair, in the Township of Tilbury West, County Essex, 28 miles from Sandwich the County Town, Population 100."

The Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory: Containing Concise Descriptions of Cities, Towns and Villages in the Province, with the Names of Professional and Business Men and Principal Inhabitants, Together with a Full List of Members of the Executive Governments, Senators, Members of the Commons and Local Legislatures, and Officials of the Dominion, and a Large Amount of Other General, Varied and Useful Information, Carefully Compiled from the Most Recent and Authentic Data
Henry McEvoy
January 1, 1869
Robertson & Cook

There is MUCH more to discover about Stoney Point, Essex, Ontario, Canada. Read on!

  • 1869 - Stony Point
    "Stony Point. — Village and Station of the Great Western Railway, on Lake St. Clair, in the Township of Tilbury West, County Essex, 28 miles from. Read MORE.


Stony Point

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

Stony Point, unincorporated village and town (township), Rockland county, southeastern New York, U.S. It lies on the west bank of the Hudson River, about 38 miles (61 km) north of midtown New York City. The name derives from the rocky promontory jutting into the Hudson. The Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site (part of the Palisades Interstate Park) commemorates an event in July 1779 during the American Revolution, when a strongly fortified British post was stormed and captured by General Anthony Wayne’s American troops. The Treason (Joshua Hett Smith) House (now demolished) was where General Benedict Arnold and Major John André met (September 21, 1780) to arrange for the betrayal of West Point to the British the site at West Haverstraw is now occupied by Helen Hayes (orthopedic) Hospital.

Traprock (basalt) is quarried, and gypsum is processed locally. Area town, 28 square miles (72 square km). Pop. (2000) town, 14,244 (2010) town, 15,059.

This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.


Stoney Point Baptist Church and Cemetery are located about six miles east of Melissa, Collin County, Texas on Farm Road 545. The church building is about two hundred feet south of the road the cemetery is east of the building with the entrance on the west side of the cemetery. In the 1870's and 1880's, Stoney Point was a thriving community with a cotton gin, a general store operated, a molasses mill, a grist mill, church, and school.

The Baptist Church of Christ at Stoney Point was organized on August 17, 1878 however, the first land on which to build a church was not deeded until1883 by Andrew Jackson (A. J.) Scribner and R. N. Coffey. The next deed that granted land was January 3, 1885 by John Calvin Price and wife Elizabeth Ann (Roper) Price. There is no one living, at this time, who knows where these earliest meetings were held. In all probability, they were held in the homes or in the Johnson School house, until a building could be erected.

The church organized a Sunday School on December 20, 1896. Officers included J. H. Vermillion, Superintendent A. J. Scribner, Assistant Superintendent J. C. Price, teacher of Old Men's Class A. J. Scribner, teacher of Old Ladies' Class Burl J. Nichols, teacher of Young Men's Class Miss Mary Lacy, teacher of Young Ladies' Class Miss Mollie Johnson, teacher of little Girls Class Andrew Jackson Hartley, teacher of Little Boy's Class Miss Josie Scribner, Secretary Mrs. Willie Brown, Assistant Secretary.

The original church building was struck by lightning and burned in 1926. It was described as having plenty of ginger-bread work on the outside and inside and was a lovely and unique building. The pews were beautifully constructed and were enhanced by hand carving. The church was rebuilt in the same location and was dedicated July 31, 1938. This building remains standing today, although it has undergone some renovation and repairs over the years.

Over time, the Stoney Point Church and community began to decline. In July 1939, there were 123 members on the church rolls. By 1949, there were only 25 resident members. In the late 1950's, Reverend Louie D. Sullivan accepted the invitation to be pastor of the church. At that time, the membership had dropped to about seven or eight members. With much hard work, Reverend and Mrs. Sullivan built the membership up to about 75 members. After Rev. Sullivan resigned as pastor, the church called two other pastors. Each stayed for a very brief time. After that, the church expired as a church body as there were not enough members to make a quorum. The church building was abandoned -- the doors unlocked and thrown open to the vandals who did a great deal of damage. The building soon deteriorated.

In the late 1960's and early 1970's, several descendants of the early settlers of Stoney Point returned to the local area and took an interest in restoring the Stoney Point Baptist Church structure so that it could be used for special events, such as Decoration Day and Funerals. Some key leaders of the Stoney Point & Brinlee Cemetery Association at this time were: Jewell (Thompson) Mitchell, Mary Lou Johnson and Leland and Lois (Kerley) Scribner.

From History of Stony Point Church and Cemetery by Jewell Thompson Mitchell


The Assault

On the evening of July 15, Wayne's men gathered at Springsteel's Farm approximately two miles from Stony Point. Here the command was briefed and the columns began their advance shortly before midnight. Approaching Stony Point, the Americans benefited from heavy clouds which limited the moonlight. As Wayne's men neared the southern flank they found that their line of approach was flooded with two to four feet of water. Wading through the water, they created enough noise to alert the British pickets. As the alarm was raised, Murfree's men began their attack.

Pushing forward, Wayne's column came ashore and began their assault. This was followed a few minutes later Butler's men who successfully cut through the abatis along the northern end of the British line. Responding to Murfree's diversion, Johnson rushed to the landward defenses with six companies from the 17th Regiment of Foot. Battling through the defenses, the flanking columns succeeded in overwhelming the British and cutting off those engaging Murfree. In the fighting, Wayne was temporarily put out of action when a spent round struck his head.

Command of the southern column devolved to Colonel Christian Febiger who pushed the attack up the slopes. The first to enter the innermost British defenses was Lieutenant Colonel Francois de Fluery who cut down the British ensign from the flagstaff. With American forces swarming in his rear, Johnson was ultimately compelled to surrender after less than thirty minutes of fighting. Recovering, Wayne sent a dispatch to Washington informing him, "The fort & garrison with Col. Johnston are ours. Our officers & men behaved like men who are determined to be free."


Battle of Stony Point

16 July 1779
Commanders:
American: George Washington, Anthony Wayne
British: Henry Clinton
Strength:
American: 1,350
British: 624
Result: American Victory
American Casualties:
Killed: 15
Wounded: 83
British Casualties:
Killed: 20
Wounded: 74
Captured: 472
Missing: 58

Historic Site

Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Park

The Stony Point Battlefield is currently maintained as a New York State Park. The site includes a museum and blacksmith's forge, and also hosts artillery demonstrations.

In early 1779, Parliament sent a directive to General Sir Henry Clinton, commander of British forces in America, to bring George Washington into a general action at the start of the campaign. The plan was to throw a force up the Hudson River to threaten the vital Hudson Highlands while a smaller force raided the Connecticut coast, ideally forcing Washington out of his West Point stronghold. General Clinton settled upon the capture of the important posts of Stony and Verplank Points. Those points were the terminals of the King&rsquos Ferry, located respectively in the towns of Stony Point and Verplank, New York. The points formed the first narrowing of the Hudson north of Manhattan, only a half mile across the ease of crossing and the depth of the water made it an ideal ferry. A small unit of militia was at Stony Point on the western shore and a detachment under Captain Thomas Armstrong manned small Fort Lafayette on the eastern, or Verplank side. On May 31st, the British hove into sight, landing forces on both sides of the river. The following day, Fort Lafayette fell the militia at Stony Point had already retreated. 1

From June 1st, the British had begun to improve their position and construct fortifications. When news reached Washington in early June in camp at Middle Brook, New Jersey he ordered most of the Continental Army to the Hudson Highlands in support of the vital fortifications at West Point. Washington immediately ordered the young and dashing Major &ldquoLight Horse&rdquo Henry Lee (father of Robert E. Lee) to provide reconnaissance on the Stony Point shore. Lee fulfilled this duty with the same alacrity shown at his raid on Paulus Hook later in the year. Work at Stony Point continued throughout June. 2

Stony Point is a rocky prominence that extends a quarter-mile into the Hudson. At high tide, Stony Point, surrounded by marshes, became an island connected to the mainland only by a narrow causeway. At its highest, the point is 150 feet above sea level, and steep. Naturally defensible, the point was further improved by the addition of two rows of abatis (trees laid branch-side towards the enemy), felled from the site. The first abatis formed the &ldquoouter&rdquo works, and extended into the water south of the point. The second abatis was half way on the promontory and enclosed the &ldquoupper&rdquo works, or the &ldquotable of the hill&rdquo.

The first abatis had three embedded &ldquofleches&rdquo defenses open in the rear. The first mounted a 12 pounder the second, two cohorn (4.5 inch) mortars the third, two royal (5.8 inch) mortars and a 12 pounder. Guarding the sallyport into the upper works was a 3 pounder. In the upper works were two batteries a left and a right, both mounting a 24 and an 18 pounder each. In addition, there was an 8 inch mortar covering the south of the post. A 12 pounder and a 10 inch mortar covered Verplank. In the outer works, four companies of the 17th Regiment of Foot were joined by two grenadier companies of the 71st (Fraser&rsquos) Highland Regiment. In the upper works, four more companies of the 17th were stationed, along with a company of Col. Beverly Robinson&rsquos Loyal American Regiment and a detachment of Royal Artillery. The troops totaled about 525 with them were nearly seventy women and children. The entirety was commanded by Lt. Col. Henry Johnson of the 17th. North of Stony Point lay the HMS Vulture, supported by a gunboat south of the point. 3

While the enemy fortified, Washington sent Captain Allan McLane of Delaware as a spy to gather intelligence Washington also personally surveyed the fort with Brigadier General Anthony Wayne of Pennsylvania. Wayne, a bold and fearless officer, had been selected to lead the newly formed Corps of Light Infantry. Composed of three complete and one incomplete regiments, the Corps of Light Infantry contained skilled soldiers drawn from their parent regiments and trained to fight with irregular (non-linear) tactics. Commanding the 1st Regiment was Col. Christian Febiger, a Dane fighting with Virginia the 2nd, Col. Richard Butler of Pennsylvania the 3rd, Col. Return Jonathan Meigs of Connecticut. Major William Hull of the yet to be formed 4th Regiment commanded a Massachusetts detachment. 4

As the Lights trained near the ruins of Fort Montgomery, Washington and Wayne developed a plan to retake Stony Point. Using only Light Infantry, Wayne would attack at midnight. Two columns would advance with fixed bayonets only a third would detach and provide a feint by firing. The main column of about 700 was composed of the 1st and 3rd Light Regiments to which was added the detachment under Major Hull. This column, led by Wayne, would wade through the river and climb the hill from the south. The second column of 300 was composed of the 2nd Regiment and so led by Butler. Major Hardee Murfree of North Carolina was to detach from Butler with his 150 strong detachment and form a central attack feint between the columns, providing a heavy fire to draw British attention from the flanks. Both non-firing columns had a twenty man &ldquoforlorn hope&rdquo to clear the way, followed by a 150 strong vanguard commanded in the main column by Lt. Col. Francois de Fleury of France and in the northern column by Major John Steward of Maryland. The whole Corps were to affix white paper in their hats or caps to identify themselves in the dark. 5

Just before the Americans got into position in the late hours of July 15th, a strong wind luckily drove off the British vessels. Just after midnight on the 16th, the Americans advanced. British sentries briefly skirmished with Murfree before withdrawing into the fort. British fire was heavy, but also confused of the fifteen pieces of artillery, only two fired (one to no effect). Friendly fire was rampant among the British as the Americans stormed the fort. Within twenty-five minutes, the fort had fallen and Johnson surrendered to Febiger as Wayne had been grazed in the head with a musket ball. The Americans sustained fifteen killed and 83 wounded the British had twenty killed and 63 wounded. For this action, Wayne, de Fleury, and Steward all received Congressional medals. 6

On July 19th, the Americans, unable to hold Stony Point against a large British force coming upriver, decided to abandon the point after removing all prisoners, stores, and artillery. The British reoccupied the post and rebuilt the fortifications in a different way, under the oversight of Captain Patrick Ferguson. They continued to hold both points of the ferry until October 22, 1779, when they removed themselves to New York. Lt. Col. Henry Johnson later requested a court martial to clear his name of the defeat he was found negligible in some aspects, but that in others he acquitted himself as a soldier ought to. After the embarrassment of Stony Point, and another similar venture at Paulus Hook in August, the British never again made a serious attempt on the Hudson River. 7

Michael J.F. Sheehan
Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site

1. Don Loprieno , The Enterprise in Contemplation: The Midnight Assault on Stony Point, ( Westminster, MD : Heritage Books, 2009), 1-4.

3. Testimony of Lieutenant William Marshall, The Court Martial of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Johnson, Public Records Office, London, 1781. 99- 100.

5. Henry Johnston , The Storming of Stony Point, (New York: James T. White & Company, 1900) , 158-9.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

Johnston, Henry P. The Storming of Stony Point on the Hudson, Midnight, July 15, 1779: Its Importance in the Light of Unpublished Documents. New York: James T. White, 1900.

Palmer, Dave Richard. The River and the Rock: The History of Fortress West Point, 1775–1783. New York: Greenwood, 1969.

Sklarsky, I. W. The Revolution's Boldest Venture: The Story of "Mad Anthony" Wayne's Assault on Stony Point. Port Washington, N.Y.: Kennikat Press, 1965.

Stillé, Charles J. Major-General Anthony Wayne and the Pennsylvania Line in the Continental Army. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1893.


Watch the video: Stoney Point: Rock Climbing Documentary. Pt 1. Welcome To The Point (January 2022).